Here at Unity in Community we have a clear objective – to make HU6 a great place to live.
The team has been located on Endike Lane for many years, but is now excited to be moving to new premises on Greenwood Avenue.
The Greenwood Business and Enterprise Centre is currently being refurbished and in the main building, the Unity team will be located on the first floor, with the community hub on the ground floor. Business units to the rear are part way through an upgrade, half already occupied by small local business tenants.
Dennis Woods, General Manager of Unity in Community explains:
“We are really pleased with the centre, it’s everything we hoped it would be.
“Our theme from the outset was to support local enterprise with a focus on small businesses with ambition to grow and I’m proud to say we have achieved that in the first phase of development. As the rest of the site completes, we will have additional spaces.
“We currently have 10 tenants who feel enabled to develop their business and employ more local people.
“All of our tenants are residents of HU6. Some had previously operated out of their home and used lock-up garages. Now they have a place to call their own, in a secure location with car parking, electricity and low-cost rent.
“Individuals come to Unity to re-train, up skill, gain confidence and meet new people. During the current lockdown, Flying Start provides training online where learners can choose from a broad range of courses – Food Hygiene to Mental Health Awareness and CSCS cards to Paediatric First Aid.
“In the current climate, many local people face uncertain futures but we can offer some optimism and create positive outcomes for anyone who wants to make a change in their lives.”
Unity’s service users can sign up to a variety of projects that are completely free to access, funded by the European Social Fund and the European Regional Development fund:-
- Flying Start: helps anyone who is out of work long-term and facing multiple barriers to employment. They can access services, use the computer suite, learn new skills, gain qualifications and get help with employment opportunities. This 6 month programme helps residents of HU6 to get job ready and with a positive new direction.
- The Business Advisory Service helps both start-up and established businesses to thrive and grow.
- The Food Bank has been supporting the growing number of people across Hull that have come to rely on this vital resource.
- The computer suite is for individuals to improve digital skills, search for jobs, apply for Universal Credit and much more.
- Unity Cafe which is located at the Orchard Centre also provides home-cooked meals at subsidised prices. The cafe is currently closed during lockdown.
For more information about Unity in Community, please don’t hesitate to call us on 01482 852292.